Re: [LUG] Fwd: 🎉 Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) PRICE CUT! Plus a FREE gift!

On 28/02/2020 16:22, Dom Rodriguez wrote:
On this date - Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 03:27:21PM +0000, mr meowski wrote:

Anyone tried using one of these as a full on router/NAT/gateway type box
yet? The 4Gb model particularly. I'm very interested in using these as
drop-in pfsense/opnsense type network appliances with a couple of USB >
gigabit ethernet adaptors especially now the architectural weakness of
the older models with the shared bus has been sorted out.
Last time I heard, recently, was that opnsense/pfsense do not support Raspberry
Pi(s0; apparently its a limitation of BSD... or something.. I currently run my
pfSENSE instead in a VM.

Correct, pfsense is only available as x86_64, it does run on other Architectures, such as their embedded Hardware SG-x000 series firewalls, but these have code in them to not make them portable to non-Netgate hardware. However, a lot of firewall / router capabilities can be achieved with native Linux tools, such as netfilter iptables, route2 and many of the packages that pfsense uses to use its feature set have open source roots or equivalents, so you can easily build most of the functionality from scratch with a Pi.

Can't see any reason why the Pi4 would not be well suited to this, be nice to see some IP forwarding benchmarks.

--
Giles Coochey