Re: [LUG] Wife's computer

On 09/02/2020 14:04, Julian Hall wrote:

Do you not install /home to a separate partition? That would preserve all user files and program settings whilst allowing you to do a full reinstall. The only difference when you install is that you choose 'Something else' when it asks you where to install the OS, select the partition you installed Linux on, '/' for the mount point and check to Format it; then the already existing partition with /home installed, '/home' as the mount point, but do /NOT/ Format it.

When the machine is booted with the new installation the boot process will seamlessly pick up the user settings from /home as usual.

Kind regards,

Julian

No, I don't do that. I have used that system in the past, but decided that I did not like it. So home stays on the main partition.

I understand how it works, but I need to do my new installation just once a year, so I am happy to cope with the slight hassle.

Neil