Re: [LUG] Wife's computer

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 13:43:06 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>Yes, I understand that. But the plan is to let her have the laptop at
>her own desk, and for her to use it exclusively until it  is all sorted
>out. Meanwhile I will be at my desk, in another part of the house,
>using my desktop computer. But what about her own personal files?
>Profiles for example.

Fair enough.  It wasn't clear (to me) that you intended for her to have
exclusive use of the laptop until such time as a replacement comes.
Although I tend to do updates remotely on the other machine in our
house.  Mostly because my missus simply doesn't want to be bothered with
all that stuff(1).  My missus really isn't a tech head at all.  Since
your wife is happy (well, maybe) doing the updates, it saves you a job.

>How long? That depends on what I decide to do about it. I may try for a
>replacement HD. I may get her a brand new laptop. I may leave her with
>my old laptop and get a new one for myself. Who knows?

In which case, yes, it's probably best to move her stuff across.  You'll
only need to move a few things back, or maybe nothing if you leave her
with that one, and get a new one yourself.

(1)  When I die, or become incapable, that computer will no longer get
updated, and will eventually be replaced by (almost certainly) a Windows
machine.  Assuming the wife replaces it all - she's not a heavy user,
and does most things on her 'phone these days anyway.  Same applies to
my daughter, who'll have left home by then, I suspect.

--
 Regards  _
Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks