Re: [LUG] Wife's computer

On 07/02/2020 13:26, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 12:47:34 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

I would set her up with her own password, and obviously copy over any
files as necessary, including profiles. I would also like her to have
root available, mainly for updates.

If you do updates on that machine, then she doesn't need root to do the
same.  Just a duplication (and therefore, waste) of effort.

Yes, I understand that. But the plan is to let her have the laptop at her own desk, and for her to use it exclusively until it is all sorted out. Meanwhile I will be at my desk, in another part of the house, using my desktop computer. But what about her own personal files? Profiles for example.

Plus:
What Steve said......

And:
If the arrangement is only temporary, do you really need to copy her
files etc. across?  Because that might be more effort than it's worth.
Especially as you're going to be wiping it later, anyway.

In short - how long do you expect temporary to be?
A day or two.
or
Like Income Tax.  (Introduced as a temporary measure to fund a war.  Over
a hundred years later, and we've still got it.)

How long? That depends on what I decide to do about it. I may try for a replacement HD. I may get her a brand new laptop. I may leave her with my old laptop and get a new one for myself. Who knows?

Neil