Re: [LUG] Back ups

On 14/12/2019 19:18, mr meowski wrote:
On 13/12/2019 21:30, Michael Everitt wrote:
LOL, I invariably agree with you, but I also charge you to write the how-to
for setting this up correctly and effectively ..

(or to find a newbie's guide online if you prefer!).

It would be unfair to say it needs to be Neil-proof (hi Neil!) .. however,
you shouldn't need to be an expert in linux internals or filesystems to
perform the functions we know ZFS is capable of .. :P

Thanks, comment duly noted. I wonder what 'Neil-proof' means. Simple perhaps?

So getting and installing ZFS on most sane deb based distros now isn't
any more difficult than "apt install zfs-linux". And while replacing
your root filesystem with a ZFS one isn't for the faint hearted,
replacing all your other bulk storage except the SSD your OS runs on
definitely *is* an option. Your 6Tb USB drive is an obvious candidate -
rather than setting it up as a creaky old ext4 or xfs partition make it
a zpool instead. Copy-on-write, native encryption, end to end data
checksumming all for free - which is a pretty good start for your backup
storage device, no matter which tools or programs you end up using to do
the actual backups. Once (easily) setup it's transparent to the end user
as well, the backup disk or disks will just act like normal
available-to-linux storage so even Neil (sorry Neil!) can't go wrong.

I should point out that I have used Linux exclusively for 20 years now. I admit that I try to keep clear of any hardware stuff, but I have worked with quite a lot of software. When I looked at ZFS I did think it looked rather complicated, so I thought I would stay clear until and unless it got easier. Not because I decided it would be too difficult, but because I thought I could do without unnecessary hassle.

There must be easier ways to do what I want, and indeed I have found one.

But I will have look into ZFS after all that.

Neil