[LUG] Back ups

Now I have updated all our computers, mine, wife's, daughter's, it is time to think about back ups. I did have some problems getting to my wife's old files when her computer program died. So I am trying to set up a simple back up system for us all.

I have looked at several possibles. The most recent is deja-dup. That seems straightforward, it is easy to do a back up. The problem is with restore. When I look at the list of the backed up files, there is no way to tell which file belongs to which folder.

An example,

back/duplicity-full.20191212T162911Z.vol3.difftar.gz

All the back up files look like that.

So if I want to restore just one folder or even just one file, there is no way that I can see to do that. I can't see the sense in restoring a complete folder if I really need to restore just one of the files. And even if I do want to restore a folder, how can I tell which one is which.

There must be a better way,

Neil