Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 08/12/2019 13:13, Neil wrote:
> On 08/12/2019 13:07, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:57:46 +0000 Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Neil,
>>
>>> often asked  why, so far, only a small percentage of people
>>> are actively using it if, as claimed, it is a superior OS.
>>
>> For the same reason VHS won out over Betamax and BluRay beat HD;
>>
>> Marketing.
>>
>> Linuxes (even the commercial ones) can't afford the massive
>> budgets that microsoft et al can afford to throw at the world.
>>

> I should have realised that. So it is really important to spread
> the message ourselves, and to teach people how to use it. Right?
>
> Neil

I think it should be on a case by case basis,  what does that person
use their computer for,  so if it they use it for browsing (inc social
media) / e-mail / office then sure there are free software equivalents,

if they want Spotify or other services, photo editing then the tools
the are used to may not be there,  the free software equivalents may
or may not cut it for them.

For me Gimp works to say resize an image,  I don't fix photos so can't
comment on it's suitability compared to Photoshop it really depends on
what that person needs.

I would certainly encourage people to give it a go though.

You may find this useful

https://alternativeto.net/

Hope this helps

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D