Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 06/12/2019 12:33, Jon Davey via list wrote:

> I have a friend who lent his laptop to someone in order to upgrade it
> to Windows 10 but the guy gave it back to him with a Linux on it. He
> wanted to know the best way to get Windoes 10 but I told him to give
> the Linux a try ! If he takes to it I will be reccomending the list to
> him too. I hope ha does.

I appreciate that this is probably a friend playing a bit of a prank on
another friend but all the same, I'd be pretty cross if someone did this
to me and I didn't have the skills to sort it out easily myself - which
apparently he doesn't. If it was my only/main computing device I'd not
just be cross, but raging :/

Microsoft Office, iTunes, Photoshop and Fortnite are just the tip of the
iceberg for stuff that is impossible to run on Linux without a full fat
VM (wine can't handle any of them) and your average 2019 consumer wants
at least one of them.

So yeah, I hope your friend has a good sense of humour otherwise his
first (unwanted) encounter with Linux is likely to be his last! He's not
going to be reading this list, he's going to be on Reddit asking the
internet how to get that crappy OS off his laptop. And I don't blame him.