Re: [LUG] Mint 19.x Login Weirdness

Hi,

Thanks for the advice thus far, unfortunately the situation has marched smartly down the loo since I last posted. I found a website called Easy Linux Tips Project with advice on cleaning up a Linux system, but in attempting to follow that advice I discovered that / actually had /zero/ bytes, not the 8Gb which initially seemed available. At that point nothing would work so I decided to recover from my rsync backup, which seemed straightforward enough as I found instructions for that online.

  • Boot with Mint Live disk
  • lsblk to check devices for source (USB drive) and destination (HD); source; source /dev/sdc, destination /dev/sda
  • create mount points; /mnt/usb and /mnt/system
  • mount both; mount /dev/sdc /mntusb and mount /dev/sda /mnt/system
  • Restore: rsync -aAXv --delete --exclude="lost+found"  /mnt/usb /mnt/system

That ran into permissions problems with error 13. I've tried creating the exact same user and giving that admin permissions and then doing the above, with the same result. It now occurs to me the backup was created with 'su -' so I wonder if I should try to replicate the same root user and try with that?

This morning grub died just to add to the fun, so I ran my Boot Repair disk, which is how I am now able to write this email.

On the plus side the problem is now simple; get past the permissions issue and the system /should/ restore from the backup.

Kind regards,

Julian