Re: [LUG] Mint 19.x Login Weirdness

On 14/11/2019 12:03, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the advice thus far, unfortunately the situation has marched
> smartly down the loo since I last posted. I found a website called Easy
> Linux Tips Project with advice on cleaning up a Linux system, but in
> attempting to follow that advice I discovered that / actually had /zero/
> bytes, not the 8Gb which initially seemed available. At that point
> nothing would work so I decided to recover from my rsync backup, which
> seemed straightforward enough as I found instructions for that online.
>
>   * Boot with Mint Live disk
>   * lsblk to check devices for source (USB drive) and destination (HD);
>     source; source /dev/sdc, destination /dev/sda
>   * create mount points; /mnt/usb and /mnt/system
>   * mount both; mount /dev/sdc /mntusb and mount /dev/sda /mnt/system
>   * Restore: rsync -aAXv --delete --exclude="lost+found"  /mnt/usb
>     /mnt/system
>
> That ran into permissions problems with error 13. I've tried creating
> the exact same user and giving that admin permissions and then doing the
> above, with the same result. It now occurs to me the backup was created
> with 'su -' so I wonder if I should try to replicate the same root user
> and try with that?
>
> This morning grub died just to add to the fun, so I ran my Boot Repair
> disk, which is how I am now able to write this email.
>
> On the plus side the problem is now simple; get past the permissions
> issue and the system /should/ restore from the backup.

Oh man, you are going to have some "fun" sorting this out. I have a
feeling you're going to run into so many complications and unexpected
problems you'll end up just reinstalling and copying back in the user
files you need in the end... and it will almost definitely be quicker
and cleaner than learning to sysadmin 101.

Still, no reason not to give it a go I guess! First are you sure you
don't want to find and fix the actual problem? You should at least
diagnose the initial issue properly even if you can't fix it and have to
restore from backup.

Speaking of which I bet you wish you'd practised backup/restore
properly. Be careful with rsync - you really need to understand what
it's doing and what all those options mean. If you accidentally reverse
your source and destination arguments you are in serious trouble. Run
rsync with the --dry-run option initially to see what it's going to do.
Be extremely careful with trailing slashes in filepaths as well.

Can I just check how far you've got with this rsync business and did you
actually start overwriting your laptop's disk? If so you've kind of
committed now. What exact rsync command did you use and did you save any
of it's output or the error?