Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019, 10:40 Giles Coochey, <giles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/11/2019 13:13, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

> Forgive me if this comes across as rude, but obliterating the whole
> system when it seems only 1 thing is broken... seems like a very
> Windows way of operating.

Well actually, this is what we tend to do in corporate land - we ensure
that users just don't store any data locally, and if they experience any
kind of problem then we just F12 at boot, PXE boot, and deploy a new
image to the box. The way it is that there is just no point in spending
more than 30 minutes on a system looking for what the problem is, just
re-image as it takes less time. Manually installing a new Ubuntu by hand
still takes less time, and you can be sure that if the problem was a
security issue - malware, virus or whatever, then you'll obliterate that
as well.

Yep, however there are at least a couple of caveats here.
+ This is not a corporate setup and the user data is not stored separately.
+ If the issue is with a software update that gets applied, the issue is likely to appear again very soon.

Grant. :)