Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 18/03/2019 16:59, Michael Everitt wrote:
> On 18/03/19 12:19, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 18/03/2019 12:11, Neil wrote:
>>> I would also discourage the idea of dual booting Linux with Windows,
>> Yes. However I ONLY dual boot with an *External* USB hard disc or USB
>> key. I do not introduce a dual boot on 'native hard disc' inside machine.
>> Much easier if they have an extra machine they can devote to Linux, but
>> some must retain for example a Windows only bookkeeping program or
>> accounts program for their records.
>> (15 years of  accounts can not easily be discarded)
>>

> Have you tried GnuCash yet Eion?!

Accounts programs used by me in Linux:

GnuCash  (for UK company accounts including VAT) . Comment: works but
major hassle as no "real chart of accounts" for UK systems, the
available one has problems as it does 'properly' segregate VAT items.
However it has be manually  sorted out to get current VAT payable (or
returned) by referring to last totals and manually doing difference.

KMyMoney: used for personal accounts and found to be very good for this
(No company account or VAT problems in personal accounts).

GnuCash would do personal accounts OK, but not used for that.

Accounts programs in Windows  from 98 to Windows 7 :  Company accounts
with VAT: Quickbooks 2010. This failed on upgrade to Windows 10 because
it does not write VAT totals  to PDF file correctly.  So VAT record is
wrong, handle by extracting data to spreadsheet (MS EXCEL ONLY).
Quickbooks will not allow re-installation or re-validation of old
versions. This was major trigger for me to really  work on GnuCash.
Previously I had kept copy of personal accounts on KMyMoney .

Reserve copy of  accounts on Windows 10 was old sunset version of MS
Moneyplus  Home and Business, it still works OK.

Problem of transferring from say Quickbooks or Quicken on Windows to a
Linux system is a major hassle, as it does not correctly transfer or
weed out duplicate transactions.

Windows 7 and 10 used HMRC PAYE RPI program but it is 32 bit code. Only
tested by HMRC against 32 bit Ubuntu!

Problem with HMRC accounts:  Ubuntu 32 bit does HMRC PAYE RPI well, and
I keep a 32 bit USB Ubuntu  just to access my PAYE/Tax  files.

HMRC PAYE RPI does not work with openSUSE Leap 15, 64 bit, hence the 32
bit Ubuntu kept.

As I ceased/closed my company to trading in January 2018 and removed
from active company by 'voluntary strike off' at Companies House this
year in January 2019. I no longer need VAT handling accounts except for
record purposes. (I have full set on spreadsheets. in case of any problem).

I looked at other free and paid accounts systems in both Linux and
Windows, but as I originally got into accounts on Windows with an
inherited Windows Quickbooks when I did a charity's accounts as
treasurer many years ago (before I started my own company) I just stayed
with Windows and Quickbooks.

The lack of an actual free accounts package that works with UK/EU VAT in
Linux is why on setting up others as their own one man companies, I have
recommended Linux but told them to use a on-line accounts package; OR  a
Windows accounts package.
There is reams and reams of this Linux accounts problems in comments on
Munich's Linux adventure.

They had to re-install MS Windows & MS Excel for accounts department.

I feel the lack of a proper UK accounts chart and set up in GnuCash
keeps Linux back from one man/small company use of Linux.

Sorry for rant, but it is a very sore 'scratching point' with me.

Paid software for Linux account might work but i did not go down that route.

If you know how to get GnuCash working with UK VAT and VAT reporting I
would eagerly accept any comments, to improve myself and my systems.

Kindest regards,

Eion MacDonald