Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 18/03/2019 08:59, Neil wrote:
> Recently I have met a couple of people who use Linux. I have also been
> approached by some others about getting them started on it. This has got
> me thinking about what would be involved in training someone to use it.
>
> Without going into unnecessary details, I soon came to realise that it
> would involve quite a lot of time and effort to make a good job of it.
> (And I would want to do it properly.) Or so it seems to me.
>
> So I am wondering if anyone on the list is involved in teaching Linux.
> And, if so, what kind of experience they have had. I myself am thinking
> of just one or two people at home, (theirs or mine) but perhaps there
> are members out there who do it in a more formal way.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Neil

I teach Linux to folk who have used Windows in the past and they do not
want to buy a new computer or have inherited old computers from family.
E.G. Granddad1 got a vista computer from son.
I teach one - to -one at local library on Windows 10 Library machine and
my own openSUSE machine or in group at U3A (where I have 3 or 4 older
machines on various distros).
Also one-to-one with neighbours, (2 folk) but as they can easily see my
machine it is easier than U3A or library as they have a ready helpdesk
(me) available.

I usually take two basic steps.
1) Do they have any data (documents/photos etc) on Windows that they
need to keep. If so copy to a USB external memory key.
2) Check RAM available. If 2 Gb or less this reduces the system distros
you can use.

I demonstrate a Linux system using two machines:
 a) My own dual boot Windows 10 and openSUSE Leap15 XFCE windows
environment on external USD 1TB hard disc, which keeps Windows 10
intact. If connected at start up it loads openSUSE LEAP15, if not it
loads windows 10.
b) an older machine with Xubuntu 64 bit. or a machine with Ubuntu or
Linux Mint

3. Once I am happy that their machine can load a 64 bit Linux distro, i
ask if they want to wipe Windows and use Linux Only (This is case in 90%
of folk).

I have found most folk want to use the Xubuntu LTS version.

4. Hardest tasks
4.1 Teaching how to download a Live Linux distro and put on DVD to
update versions each year. This is why I favour the Ubuntu(s) LTS versions.
They will get a few years use before needing to update.

If OpenSUSE make sure you set up the video  extras such as Packman
Repository for video codecs and load VLC video player.

4.2 Second hardest task, making sure they can access Wifi and have a
Ethernet connection wire in their house for updates.
Knowing how to re-set Wifi access.
4.3 Update is easy once they have a good connection.
This habit started as Windows updates over wifi were a problem, so I
teach update when connected by ethernet.
 (I do not like downloading distro update DVDs over WiFi)

4.4 Simple problem. Ensuring they know how to get back to a UK keyboard.

5 Then normal tasks:
5.1 Browsing.
With Firefox the old ones appreciate the private browsing option.
Install uBlock.
Also install Google Chromium, as they might have used on Windows and it
is an easy way into Gmail webmail.

5.2  Email;
Web email  first
Then teach use of Thunderbird.

5.3   Separate user for visitors (grandsons etc)

5.4 .  Simple document composing, letters etc in LibreOffice and how to
save it as a PDF to send over email.

6. Users like an introduction to YouTube, and TED talks.
Some want to use BBC iPlayer (they do not have recent smart TVs)

 I use YouTube videos for teaching those who can use it (longer than 15
minute attention spans)

7 Youngsters.
They like introduction to ProtonMail for email with their boy/girl
friends without Google etc reading and absorbing their data.
They also use smart phone messaging apps.

Also of course get requests for how to use TOR from some youngsters and
at least one senior.

8. Elderly
Memory.
The use of Thunderbird for email helps the use of different passwords
for email. As enter password on each web mail entry can cause problem.

I find they are not so sure of using a password manager.
"What if I need to get my daughter to open up an email on their computer
to help me!)

I always set up a Libreoffice document with a list of their
user-names/passwords for each service in an 'encrypted document' with
password as their house address.  E.g. "32DamLane-Damville"   This is
saved onto their desktop, and a copy put in documents on /home.

I trust this helps. If you need any more  contact me on or off list.
Off list email  maceion at gmail doc com

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald