Re: [LUG] OT : Gigabyte ax370 and VM's

On 30/11/2018 00:23, Splodger wrote:
> Hi Mr M
>
> My partner (who i built that system for) says that she needs to learn
> Powershell + Chocolatey + WSL + Cygwin for her work, but doesn't know
> about ConEmu.
>
> I'm sure we will look into that once we've made 'hello world' script
> executable ;)

Here you go:

https://conemu.github.io/

It's the simplest part of the job actually - it's just the terminal
emulator itself. Before the last 1809 build the standard cmd and
powershell gui clients on Windows were so pathetically terrible I
struggle to find the words. Conemu is the equivalent of having a nice
terminal emulator like Tilix or gnome-terminal or Konsole or whatever.

I install chocolatey first of all in powershell, and then use Chocolatey
to install Conemu. Then I set Conemu to open Powershell as Admin as
default and use that in the same way I'd have Tilix open in a full
screen on a Linux box all the time. Conemu brings Unix style sanity to
your Windows terminal emulator and then you can use powershell and
chocolatey to install everything else you need and get some actual work
done. Your partner has fun times ahead of her, Windows isn't the useless
bag of £$%(* it used to be any more. Hyper-V + Docker has a "linux mode"
which is _really_ nice by the way. With WSL as well you can completely
forget you're not working on a sane Linux system after a while. It's...
nice, and a bit weird. You can tell a completely different set of people
are running the show at Redmond these days.

Anyway, now this really is properly [OT] I guess. I just can't resist
smuggling in a bit of Microsoft here and there.

Cheers