Re: [LUG] OT : Gigabyte ax370 and VM's

On 29/11/2018 22:48, Splodger wrote:
> Just the man I was hoping would answer.
>
> We are struggling to get any sane BIOS menu out of this Gigabyte mobo,
> seems so basic and so far i've been unable to locate an advanced menu
> (nevermind any option with a 'V' in it.)
>
> we are currently running F22 (knowing F23 is out there) but no real
> reason to update thus far.
>
> None of the F keys bring up an advanced menu.
>
> - any hints on how to find the sub sub sub menu would be greatly
> appreciated and might save me a few years of hair loss.

You're definitely on the right track - install the updated BIOS though,
even if it seems like a pain in the ass.

Have you tried pretty much the exact steps from the linked article? I
know it's not for your specific model of board but Gigabyte boards are
much of a muchness so yours _probably_ has an identical or near
identical set of steps to follow. Looking at the manual for your board
the BIOS/UEFI really does seem a bit... well, frustrating I guess.
Presuming those screenshots are even accurate in the first place.

It looks like you need to head to MIT > Advanced CPU Core Settings and
SVM is buried under there. From page 22 of your manual:

"Virtualization enhanced by Virtualization Technology will allow a
platform to run multiple operating systems
and applications in independent partitions. With virtualization, one
computer system can function as multiple
virtual systems. (Default: Disabled)"

Note disabled by default. If I was you I'd dig through the rest of the
settings until you find the IOMMU setting and toggle that to ON/ENABLED
or whatever rather than optional, auto, or disabled as well.

Flash the BIOS first though, it'll reset everything to default and
you'll have to redo the work!

I don't _think_ that you have any hidden menus or anything to activate
as it were - they are probably hiding in plain sight right in front of
you, just several sub menus deep.

Good luck :]

PS:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_mamual_ga-ax370m-gaming3_e.pdf