Re: [LUG] viruses and protecting against them

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 09:18:12 +0000
Pentiddy <pentiddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it me or are there really no other free linux virus scanners out
> there other than Clam?
> I seem to be hitting problems trying to install anything else.
> My main concern is scanning the backed up files before returning them
> to my (hopefully) clean system.
> Clam somehow does not convince me it can protect me from this Trojan
> which seemed to be embedded in the Macros of office somehow.
> My office files are mainly business related and I can't afford to
> lose them or re-infect myself or even worse others...
> Please, any suggestions or experiences that might help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony

Hi Anthony,

You might want to tighten up the configuration of clamav; I have found
the default config alarmingly permissive.  I have also seen (Ubuntu?)
trying to install clamav and scan as sudo; but needs to be installed and
run as root.  My policy is to enable everything, run a
scan on the entire machine (sometimes takes 3-6 days to scan ~3Tb),
check out any (false) positives and then disable stuff if it breaks
functions you need.  I accept that this is perhaps a bit cavalier, but
if you want to scare yourself into running a tighter ship, set up a
debian mirror and scan that!  But, yes, the number of macros in
Libreoffice is a serious security concern.

https://linux.die.net/man/5/clamd.conf