Re: [LUG] viruses and protecting against them

On Monday, 5 November 2018 09:18:12 GMT Pentiddy wrote:

> Is it me or are there really no other free linux virus scanners out
> there other than Clam?

They are only as good as the signatures.

There are gratis proprietary scanners for GNU/Linux, I've used BitDefender's
with some success and only a couple of minor issues.

But cleaning up after malware is as messy and unreliable on GNU/Linux as it is
on Windows, you are probably better with the roll back to backup, make sure
that is clean, then find what caused the issue.

Establish the point of infection, use Virustotal to ensure the offending files
are identified and reported to researchers.

If you can tell us the sites it was contacting, or provide files with malware
in we can probably tell you what it was, but if it is a trojan the machine may
have been abused in other ways.

If you have Personally Identifying information which might present a risk to
the people involved your data controller may need to contact the ICO.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/report-a-breach/

If you are struggling to clean up, it may make sense to disconnect and store
the affected systems till you can get assistance in understanding what has
happened from someone with more experience, depending on the sensitivity of
the material at risk.