Re: [LUG] Using mv command

On 28/10/18 18:27, mr meowski wrote:
> On 28/10/2018 17:22, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I can't work this one out. Is it possible to move all files inside
>> multiple folders to a single folder. I have a directory called 2013 and
>> Google Photos has 'helpfully' put all images into multiple folders.
>> 2013-6-01 etc. I want all images for 2013 to simply be in the 2013
>> folder. In addition to this I am trying to combine multiple photo
>> libraries! So I am trying to
>>
>> Take all images in multiple folders
>>
>> Move to single folder
>>
>> Check for duplicates and if so add 01, 02, 03
>>
>> Is this possible using mv please?
>
> There are a million ways to do this via the shell of course but I'm
> going to uncharacteristically suggest a more friendly option.
>
> Just open Nautilus (or any other file manager... probably) and navigate
> to the correct directory. Use the little search function and put in .jpg
> or .gif or whatever other term you like - the results are recursive so
> you'll see everything descending through any nested folders. Then
> operate on the filtered files as you like.
>
> Whatever you do make a copy of the original data first and operate on
> that instead. Make sure it's right first and then you can replace the
> old version with your new version safely.
>
> Cheers
^ Last para especially .. you can do some surprisingly silly things with
shell/parameter/bash expansions, and mis-chosen command options!

Equally applicable to sed/awk scripts .. no harm whatsoever in making an
exact copy with a '.orig' or '.bak' extension, and if you make a mistake,
you can always get back to a 'known state'!!

MJE