Re: [LUG] Using mv command

On 28/10/2018 17:22, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I can't work this one out. Is it possible to move all files inside
> multiple folders to a single folder. I have a directory called 2013 and
> Google Photos has 'helpfully' put all images into multiple folders.
> 2013-6-01 etc. I want all images for 2013 to simply be in the 2013
> folder. In addition to this I am trying to combine multiple photo
> libraries! So I am trying to
>
> Take all images in multiple folders
>
> Move to single folder
>
> Check for duplicates and if so add 01, 02, 03
>
> Is this possible using mv please?

There are a million ways to do this via the shell of course but I'm
going to uncharacteristically suggest a more friendly option.

Just open Nautilus (or any other file manager... probably) and navigate
to the correct directory. Use the little search function and put in .jpg
or .gif or whatever other term you like - the results are recursive so
you'll see everything descending through any nested folders. Then
operate on the filtered files as you like.

Whatever you do make a copy of the original data first and operate on
that instead. Make sure it's right first and then you can replace the
old version with your new version safely.

Cheers