Re: [LUG] Debian stretch virtualbox

On Friday, 7 September 2018 22:38:01 BST mr meowski wrote:

> Make sure you haven't got any conflicting virtualization platforms running.

^^ This - thanks

The Oracle version of Virtualbox 5.2 vboxconfig script tests for the existence
of /proc/xen and puts a helpful warning up

"Running VirtualBox in a Xen environment is not supported"

The Debian Virtualbox Team version of virtualbox 5.2 doesn't.

So basically I had to reboot and pick the non-Xen version of Linux in grub.

I'd like to say I went straight to that as the way to remove Xen support from
Debian Stretch kernel, but I may have read /boot/grub/grub.cfg and a few other
bits before deciding it was time to reboot and see what grub actually offered.