Re: [LUG] distributed web article

On 10/09/18 21:47, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 10/09/18 20:25, Eion MacDonald wrote:
On 10/09/2018 19:35, Roland Tarver via list wrote:

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018, Tom via list wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/08/decentralisation-next-big-step-for-the-world-wide-web-dweb-data-internet-censorship-brewster-kahle

Tom te tom te tom
Thanks for that Tom. An interesting read. I wonder if it will come to
pass...?

Cheers roly :-)>

I found article interesting, however it got me into strange places with
its references.
Problem: who pays for the electricity/servers/maintenance in distributed
web as if one person thinks effort/cost to much and they pull out, then
it could fall apart. At moment, private websites carry own cost and
'search' paid for by giving information for adverts etc.
Who would index a distributed web?

With Diaspora (specifically joindiaspora.com, can't comment on the
others) you can donate to help keep the pod running.  there is a status
bar that shows how much has been raised so far.

The friendi.ca pod I am using is based in Toronto,

Ultimately if you run your own pod or you and a few friends run a pod,
then you spread the cost out between friends, but all form part of the
bigger decentralized network.

As far as I understand there are several layers so for example different
services sit on top of federation code ( this allows the servers to
communicate and share between servers ),  for example I can post to my
blog, this gets posted to my diaspora account, which I can follow from
my Friendi.ca account.

so

Diaspora - Friendi.ca

Federation layer (allows people to be followed on different services)

There are also services such as GnuSocial (Matt Lee can comment on
this),  which are more micro-blogging sites (like Twitter).  I can
follow my gnu social account too

Paul

I think ultimately its probably up to each person/organisation to run their own pod if its for anything other than simple mail/chat. Whether you do it at home or hosted by your ISP or elsewhere is irrelevant but I think we have to take responsibility for our own stuff in the long run.

Diaspora looks good but I dont think is allows you to re-host your data yet.p

There are some RaspberryPi diaspora repositories on github and if one runs on a zero  you could effectively host one at home for £15 - I can plug one into the USB on my router and configure DDNS etc - so if anyone is interested in setting some up to play?

Tom te tom te tom