Re: [LUG] distributed web article

On 10/09/18 20:25, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> On 10/09/2018 19:35, Roland Tarver via list wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, 8 Sep 2018, Tom via list wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/08/decentralisation-next-big-step-for-the-world-wide-web-dweb-data-internet-censorship-brewster-kahle
>>>

>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
>> Thanks for that Tom. An interesting read. I wonder if it will come to
>> pass...?
>>
>> Cheers roly :-)>
>>

> I found article interesting, however it got me into strange places with
> its references.
> Problem: who pays for the electricity/servers/maintenance in distributed
> web as if one person thinks effort/cost to much and they pull out, then
> it could fall apart. At moment, private websites carry own cost and
> 'search' paid for by giving information for adverts etc.
> Who would index a distributed web?

With Diaspora (specifically joindiaspora.com, can't comment on the
others) you can donate to help keep the pod running.  there is a status
bar that shows how much has been raised so far.

The friendi.ca pod I am using is based in Toronto,

Ultimately if you run your own pod or you and a few friends run a pod,
then you spread the cost out between friends, but all form part of the
bigger decentralized network.

As far as I understand there are several layers so for example different
services sit on top of federation code ( this allows the servers to
communicate and share between servers ),  for example I can post to my
blog, this gets posted to my diaspora account, which I can follow from
my Friendi.ca account.

so

Diaspora - Friendi.ca

Federation layer (allows people to be followed on different services)

There are also services such as GnuSocial (Matt Lee can comment on
this),  which are more micro-blogging sites (like Twitter).  I can
follow my gnu social account too

Paul

--
Paul Sutton