Re: [LUG] 20180906 Ubuntu variants. Dell D430. Normal and recovery start up

On 07/09/18 09:54, Eion MacDonald wrote:
Dear Folk.
20180907
20180906 Ubuntu variants. Dell D430. Normal and recovery start up.

What is difference between a 'normal start of Ubuntu 18.04' and
'recovery start of Ubuntu 18.04'? Ubuntu default windows manager/display.
I assume recovery start (boot up) does two things:
a) It displays the load process line by line  (not done in 'silent
normal start')
b) It does not load some items, but what ones?
What is the real change?

Machine is a Dell Latitude D430 with
2Gb RAM, Intel Core 2 U7600, 1.2 GHz
[Boots Knoppix 8.2 USB key OK]

Reason to ask.
One of our Warrington U3A computer group old computers, a Dell D430,
(Windows XP then Vista)  was reloaded with Ubuntu 16.04 for a person's
use for browsing and copy of websites to Libreoffice for their notes for
a literary group. This has worked very well.

I recently last week tried to upgrade the machine to Ubuntu 18.04.
Upgrade was done, however it would not start in a normal start, locked
and stayed static for a long time, and did not load.
It did start in a recovery version start up choice and worked well with
normal Ubuntu '(brownish) Beaver  display environment'

I assumed a download error in update and re-tried 4 times but this load
only from recovery menu was consistent. No completion of boot from
normal start or boot but always OK from recovery booting.

I replaced Ubuntu 18.04 by Xubuntu 18.04 and find it works well and
starts normally.

I understand the Xubuntu folk use a mixture of XFCE and Gnome in this
version and it works well.

What in normal Ubuntu desktop environment would cause the problem I saw?
Any thoughts?

IIRC a recovery start up allows you change parameters and select things to load should you so choose so it you just let it boot from recovery then the only difference is  the time it takes to load things - systemd not configured right for dell drivers?

Have you browsed the ubuntu forums for any info - they're normally filled with useful stuff at this time in the development cycle!

Tom te tom te tom