Re: [LUG] HELP - Monitor EDID & Alieanware 8 Bleeps

Thank you for the speedy response.

> Some machines have dual-bios and there is a jumper inside you can
> tweak
> to switch between them. Otherwise it's a case of re-setting the CMOS
> by
> removing the backup battery, or another jumper which normally
> performs
> an equivalent function.

I had previously tried to clear the CMOS by leaving both batterys out
of the laptop for over 24 hours. This had no effect on the 8 beeps at
start up.

> If I'm misreading your description of the problem, I apologise, but
> this
> is a fairly important fundamental point! :)
> Cheers,
> Michael.

As far as I understand it, the problem is the monitor, literally. It is
as if it has forgotten how wide it is, it's resolution, refresh rates,
and so on.. Somehow with some Linux magic, apparently it can be
restored.