Re: [LUG] HELP - Monitor EDID & Alieanware 8 Bleeps

On 19/08/18 00:23, splodgermail@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Devon & Cornwall.
>
> This is my first email here and I reach out for help.
>
> A friend of mine had come to me with an issue with his Dell Alienware
> M18xr1 gaming laptop.
> He used a program from the Steam Store called PrecisionX which I
> believe is used for Overclocking. He made some "unknown" changes and
> restarted his computer and then was greated by 8 beeps at POST.
>
> A bit of digging reveils that he has overwritten something on his
> monitor called EDID and that is what causes the 8 Beeps.
>
> Apparently this can be fixed with Linux but i'm not sure how.
>
> Is anyone able to explain in laymans terms what needs to be done to get
> this laptop working again?
>
> To recap,
> The laptop doesn't complete POST,
> Plugging a monitor into HDMI shows a blinking curser top left during
> repeating 8 Beeps.
> Unplugging laptop monitor completely still causes 8 Beeps.
>
> Info,
> Windows 7 64bit
> Intel 2920XM
> 780m 4GB GTX Nvidia
>
> Many Thanks
>

> Bobby.

Hi, Not sure if I can help

firstly EDID is 'Extended Display Identification Data'

https://askubuntu.com/questions/81370/how-to-create-extract-the-edid-for-from-a-monitor

seems to have some useful information,  and yes it should be possible.

apt search edid

brings up results showing the desired results.

Just noticed Michael has replied to this too,  if the Laptop won't post
then, like Michael said you need to get round that issue first.

However the tools listed by the above search could be useful for anyone
else here on the list as a way to extract and back up the EDID data.

Where are you based in Devon / Cornwall (or perhaps further afield) as
if you are not comfortable taking laptops part then there maybe someone
local who can help.

Hope this helps

Paul

--