Re: [LUG] HELP - Monitor EDID & Alieanware 8 Bleeps

On 19/08/18 00:23, splodgermail@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Devon & Cornwall.
>
> This is my first email here and I reach out for help.
>
> A friend of mine had come to me with an issue with his Dell Alienware
> M18xr1 gaming laptop.
> He used a program from the Steam Store called PrecisionX which I
> believe is used for Overclocking. He made some "unknown" changes and
> restarted his computer and then was greated by 8 beeps at POST.
>
> A bit of digging reveils that he has overwritten something on his
> monitor called EDID and that is what causes the 8 Beeps.
>
> Apparently this can be fixed with Linux but i'm not sure how.
>
> Is anyone able to explain in laymans terms what needs to be done to get
> this laptop working again?
>
> To recap,
> The laptop doesn't complete POST,
> Plugging a monitor into HDMI shows a blinking curser top left during
> repeating 8 Beeps.
> Unplugging laptop monitor completely still causes 8 Beeps.
>
> Info,
> Windows 7 64bit
> Intel 2920XM
> 780m 4GB GTX Nvidia
>
> Many Thanks
>

> Bobby.

If it won't POST, you won't (normally) get to the BIOS, cf. you cannot
boot. You will need to overcome this before you can continue.

Some machines have dual-bios and there is a jumper inside you can tweak
to switch between them. Otherwise it's a case of re-setting the CMOS by
removing the backup battery, or another jumper which normally performs
an equivalent function.

With a laptop, this is a covers-off job, as you might imagine ...

If I'm misreading your description of the problem, I apologise, but this
is a fairly important fundamental point! :)
Cheers,
Michael.