Re: [LUG] OT: working abroad

Eion MacDonald <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 14/08/18 12:13, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>

>> On 14/08/18 11:41, Tom via list wrote:
>>> Off on holidays and need to be able to contact our house sitters. Last
>>> time I went abroad all my webmail etc refused to work because I was
>>> abroad and as I dont bother with a phone abroad there was no way of
>>> getting things working again. Anyone know of a way of kicking
>>> gmail/yahoo etc to work when not in the UK?
>>>
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> I thought the whole point of webmail was that you can check from
>> anywhere, especially gmail / yahoo.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Works ONLY if you can verify you are you on their automated systems.
>
> One way is to set up a "<you chosen name>@protonmail.ch" account before
> you go or wherever you are as their verification is by password (strong)
> from any computer.
> This webmail works any where.
>
> --
> regards
> Eion MacDonald

I've not had any issues with webmail (in the past - no longer
applicable, as I host my own email server, and rely on
offlineimap.. don't use webmail right now) in various locations.

Tom - what error do you find you receive when not in the UK *and*
trying to connect to webmail? Do you use 2FA?

I agree that webmail has the point of being able to access from
anywhere, as Paul says - but equally, we should be grateful that
security is good on Google, Yahoo, whatever - its really a matter of
balance..

--
Best regards,
Dom Rodriguez (shymega / dzr).