Re: [LUG] a mouse to use on your laptop when its on your lap?

On 30/07/18 18:52, Tom via list wrote:
> On 30/07/18 18:42, mr meowski wrote:
>> On 30/07/18 18:34, Tom via list wrote:
>>> For those of us who do not get on with trackpads has anyone made a mouse
>>> type device that can be used to control their laptop (or other computer)
>>> when it is being used on their lap? Ideally USB so it doesnt get lost in
>>> the sofa, down the side of the car seat etc?
>> Trackball?
>>
>> Trackpoint?
>>
>> Touchscreen?
>>
>> Use a phone or tablet?
>>
>> Voice assistant?
>>
>> Learn to use a trackpad which not only does your laptop have but is
>> expressly designed to be the best tool for the job?
>>
>> Dude, seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>

> No - trackpad on old hps not good - some sensitive from about 3" away,
> keybd 1/2 inch away from trackpad! I have four  - only one has a usable
> trackpad.
>
> Imagine I've got it on my lap in the car! there seem to be some finger
> mounted things but they have 1.5m of cable and I cant see the finger
> mounting working in typing situations. Though I am wondering if I can 3d
> print something onto a bulldog clip!
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Synaptics (not to be confused with Synaptic package manager) is one of
the tools that lets you configure your track pad,   there 'should' be a
option to disable trackpad while typing within some of the configuration
tools.

Sadly there does not seem to be consistency with this across distros
with regard to default track pad configuration tool.  Not helpful some
of the distros have the tool with that option, others don't.

Not sure if this is useful as a point of reference :-
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/synaptics-touchpad-driver-for-linux-787060/

Paul

--
Paul Sutton