Re: [LUG] AV state of play

On 09/06/18 15:44, mr meowski wrote:
> On 09/06/18 09:30, Tom via list wrote:
>> I've just realised I will be thrusting USBs in and out of CoderDojo
>> participants laptops etc and thought I'd better get up to date with
>> current AV state of play.
>>
>> Thoughts please
>
> USB? What century is this?!
>
> You'll be turning up with a Linux laptop presumably, so stick an extra
> wifi module in it and run a hotspot. Put everything you'll need to
> distribute in one folder and then share it in read-only mode over any
> protocols required. NFS and CIFS are going to be less useful than normal
> so I'd just run a simple HTTP/FTP service providing a directory listing
> of the target folder and that way whatever weird stuff people turn up
> with they'll at least be able to join a wifi network, load a webpage and
> download whatever they need.
>
> If you have to use USB just get one with a write protect switch (and
> format it as exFAT so as to have the best chance of multi-platform
> compatibility).
>
> Unless of course there's a decent internet connection at the location in
> which case just upload everything to your choice of cloudy type service
> and let them download it themselves. I'd use github and the first thing
> I'd teach them is how to "git clone" a repo.
>
> You'll need as much of your time free as possible for teaching them,
> don't get bogged down with distractions like worrying about the state of
> their AV protection...
> ,  I was under the impression that with a coder dojo it is more about
> Cheers

I agree with this,  however what is the state of play with the venues
Internet connection in general?

First thing I would do is find out who is coming,  what they know
already or what projects they are working on or what they would like to do.

I agree there are a lot of useful resources out there but once you get
started perhaps you can then agree on a shared system,  if some already
use github (or similar) then let them carry on with that.

http://kata.coderdojo.com/wiki/Home_Page

Which links from : https://coderdojo.com/resources/

Has lots of resources.

You can also go here, to upload resources or I am guessing share links
to resources. ( https://coderdojo.com/resources/ )

hope this helps

Paul

--