Re: [LUG] AV state of play

On 09/06/18 09:30, Tom via list wrote:
> I've just realised I will be thrusting USBs in and out of CoderDojo
> participants laptops etc and thought I'd better get up to date with
> current AV state of play.
>
> Thoughts please

USB? What century is this?!

You'll be turning up with a Linux laptop presumably, so stick an extra
wifi module in it and run a hotspot. Put everything you'll need to
distribute in one folder and then share it in read-only mode over any
protocols required. NFS and CIFS are going to be less useful than normal
so I'd just run a simple HTTP/FTP service providing a directory listing
of the target folder and that way whatever weird stuff people turn up
with they'll at least be able to join a wifi network, load a webpage and
download whatever they need.

If you have to use USB just get one with a write protect switch (and
format it as exFAT so as to have the best chance of multi-platform
compatibility).

Unless of course there's a decent internet connection at the location in
which case just upload everything to your choice of cloudy type service
and let them download it themselves. I'd use github and the first thing
I'd teach them is how to "git clone" a repo.

You'll need as much of your time free as possible for teaching them,
don't get bogged down with distractions like worrying about the state of
their AV protection...

Cheers