Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Coder Dojo

On 19/05/18 12:44, Andrew Kendall wrote:
> I think you need to "spread the word" around the local Youth Clubs
> and Schools if you're looking for a reasonable response Tom. (I can
> put you in touch with the Youth Club staff if you like?). You may
> need to provide some hardware to get it going though? It'll be
> pretty stale without some hardware hands-on.
>
> I've considered doing similar for an Arduino-based Maker "club" as
> I've done a fair bit and there are cheap hardware bundles on eBay
> to facilitate it. I've no stomach for all the CRB-check and
> officialdom though.
>
> See you shortly.
>
> Andy.

I think there are starter packs for the dojos with some micro:bits ,
stickers, posters etc.  which are going out to the ones they are
setting up.  But yeah,  ideally people bring their own kit (laptop
usually).   I think what you then need to provide is access to power
sockets and somewhere to put the laptops so people are not sitting too
close together.

Andy:  The DBS process is very straight forward and done on-line, for
volunteers it should be free, or at very low cost I did see Â16 quoted
on the dojo site,   if you get one,  then sign up to the update
service and register your DBS  it is kept up to date,  as a volunteer
that part of it is free,  (if you do one for paid employment then it
costs about Â13 per annum)  the update service in theory then means
you don't have to apply for a new one, for each post as the entities
you are working with will do a  status check (e.g a school), so if
nothing has changed since DBS was issued, then a fresh DBS won't say
anything new either.

DBS are then transferable providing that it is the same level,  you
still need a separate one for paid and volunteer work (even at the
same level of check).

But the process is simple,  just need ID documents,  and evidence of
address dated in the last 3 months,  so passport, driving license,
birth certificate plus a bill for example (and yes this can be printed
from your ISP bill for example).

I am not a DBS expert,  just had to do quite a few for various posts.
 So kinda used to the routine.

Paul

> -----Original Message----- From: list
> [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom via list Sent:
> 19 May 2018 11:20 To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx Cc: Tom Subject: [LUG]
> Holsworthy Coder Dojo
>
> In a moment of madness I have started the engine on creating a
> Coder Dojo (https://coderdojo.com/) in Holsworthy. I have no idea
> on the levels of interest - I can probably manage a half dozen or
> so on my own if they have their hardware etc but if anyone is
> interested in helping or can provide equipment* then I'd be
> interested in hearing from you.
>

> * I think I will need things that can run scratch, do some python
> coding and I have a few RaspberryPis  that I can use for 'physical'
> computing.
>
> Cheers Tom te tom te tom
>

> -- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
> https://mailman.dclug.org.uk/listinfo/list FAQ:
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq

- --
http://www.zleap.net