Re: [LUG] ARM NAS+ platforms?

On 18/05/18 20:22, mr meowski wrote:
> Whilst I'm at it, I've been meaning to ask this here for ages.
>
> Anyone got a solid suggestion for a >RPi3 single board ARM computer
> suitable for a DIY NAS/multipurpose system? I've spent ages looking over
> the RPi, BananaPI, Pine64, Helios4 and countless other similar offerings
> trying to find the sweet spot for power/performance/size/capabilities.
> I've bought (and sold) a lot of RPi based gadgets over the last few
> years - they make fantastic single use devices for VPN endpoints, 1 or 2
> disk low-traffic NAS/backup machines, pihole adblockers, DIY Apple
> TimeCapsules, HTPCs, admin sandboxes, you name it. Where the RPis fall
> over is trying to push them a little bit further unsurprisingly - even
> my newest model 3 type B+ units are still fatally compromised for
> ethernet+external disk throughput once you lean on them a little bit.
>
> So I have a lengthy wish list for the 'perfect' (-ish) ARM board to
> start housing bigger and more capable systems: primarily multi-disk NAS
> but ideally they'd serve multiple simultaneous duties. If you're
> thinking it looks like I'm trying to spec a build to create a DIY NAS
> that outperforms but undercuts on price a commercial low end QNAP or
> Synology type NAS unit then congratulations, you've seen right through
> me. That's _exactly_ what I'm aiming to do. Out with the overpriced,
> underpowered and crappy proprietary OS driven rubbish on the NAS market
> and in with the ARM board, a bunch of COTS disks and a regular Linux OS:
> I'll do all the rest of the config magic myself. I'm even ok to hack up
> the power delivery and 3D print a case if necessary.
>
> For example, one of the best I've seen so far is the Helios4 but that
> was a crowd-funded thing that has sold out already, has zero
> availability and an entirely uncertain future: also a bit expensive for
> my liking.
>
> https://www.open-electronics.org/helios4-the-1st-diy-arm-board-computer-designed-for-nas/
> https://shop.kobol.io/
>
> Typical usage case will be to act as a drop-in single-box solution for
> an entire OU: SOHO basically. I'd expect larger commercial entities or
> super heavy users like myself to shell out for 'proper' gear that can
> take the punishment. Small businesses would drop it in their network
> cabinet/cupboard and home users would probably tuck it in to their home
> entertainment stack by the TV. My
> "not-unreasonable-but-aiming-high-considering-it's-2018" wishlist also
> includes:
>
> 1: ARM64, obviously
> 2: *must* run standard ARM Linux distros - Arch preferred, but also
> Debian. No custom-only hacked up board specific distros
> 3: Ideally, would also run BSD depending on my mood and the situation
> 4: at least 4 SATA ports, preferably more
> 5: at least 1 gigabit ethernet port, preferably more
> 6: multiple USB ports, preferably at least v3
> 7: USB > serial out would be nice
> 8: HDMI out, preferably at least v2.x for 4K capability
> [...]
Intel x86_64 'celery' - don't bother with ARM. You should be able to
locate a mini-ITX board for <Â50 and that rules out the majority of
'quality' ARM boards. Plus, power consumption is roughly equivalent and
you get a hell of a lot more 'bang' for your 'buck' in the architecture.

Just sayin' .. <my 2cents>

BTW: meowski .. your messages are being connected to unrelated threads
in my mail client .. could be a quirk my end, but could you take 5secs
to see if its anything silly your end too?! TIA! :]