[LUG] ARM NAS+ platforms?

Whilst I'm at it, I've been meaning to ask this here for ages.

Anyone got a solid suggestion for a >RPi3 single board ARM computer
suitable for a DIY NAS/multipurpose system? I've spent ages looking over
the RPi, BananaPI, Pine64, Helios4 and countless other similar offerings
trying to find the sweet spot for power/performance/size/capabilities.
I've bought (and sold) a lot of RPi based gadgets over the last few
years - they make fantastic single use devices for VPN endpoints, 1 or 2
disk low-traffic NAS/backup machines, pihole adblockers, DIY Apple
TimeCapsules, HTPCs, admin sandboxes, you name it. Where the RPis fall
over is trying to push them a little bit further unsurprisingly - even
my newest model 3 type B+ units are still fatally compromised for
ethernet+external disk throughput once you lean on them a little bit.

So I have a lengthy wish list for the 'perfect' (-ish) ARM board to
start housing bigger and more capable systems: primarily multi-disk NAS
but ideally they'd serve multiple simultaneous duties. If you're
thinking it looks like I'm trying to spec a build to create a DIY NAS
that outperforms but undercuts on price a commercial low end QNAP or
Synology type NAS unit then congratulations, you've seen right through
me. That's _exactly_ what I'm aiming to do. Out with the overpriced,
underpowered and crappy proprietary OS driven rubbish on the NAS market
and in with the ARM board, a bunch of COTS disks and a regular Linux OS:
I'll do all the rest of the config magic myself. I'm even ok to hack up
the power delivery and 3D print a case if necessary.

For example, one of the best I've seen so far is the Helios4 but that
was a crowd-funded thing that has sold out already, has zero
availability and an entirely uncertain future: also a bit expensive for
my liking.

https://www.open-electronics.org/helios4-the-1st-diy-arm-board-computer-designed-for-nas/
https://shop.kobol.io/

Typical usage case will be to act as a drop-in single-box solution for
an entire OU: SOHO basically. I'd expect larger commercial entities or
super heavy users like myself to shell out for 'proper' gear that can
take the punishment. Small businesses would drop it in their network
cabinet/cupboard and home users would probably tuck it in to their home
entertainment stack by the TV. My
"not-unreasonable-but-aiming-high-considering-it's-2018" wishlist also
includes:

1: ARM64, obviously
2: *must* run standard ARM Linux distros - Arch preferred, but also
Debian. No custom-only hacked up board specific distros
3: Ideally, would also run BSD depending on my mood and the situation
4: at least 4 SATA ports, preferably more
5: at least 1 gigabit ethernet port, preferably more
6: multiple USB ports, preferably at least v3
7: USB > serial out would be nice
8: HDMI out, preferably at least v2.x for 4K capability
9: wifi (I'd settle for a wifi USB adaptor though)
10: enough power to run additional containerized services via
docker/chroot/jails
11: ECC RAM (the Helios4 has/had it after all)
12: Bluetooth (again, I'd settle for a wifi USB adaptor though)
13: eMMC storage would be nice
14: separate audio out
15: low power! must be better than equivalent x86/64 solutions
16: low price! must beat out second hand commercial NASs or low end DIY
x86/64 competition (otherwise what's the point?)
17: durable - must be "set and forget" in terms of hardware. tuck it in
a corner and ignore it for 2 or 3 years
18: quiet, if not completely silent (not including disk noise, that's
another issue)
19: tough - has to withstand idiot users accidentally unplugging it
without corrupting entire array for example
20: I could go on...

Now that admittedly looks like quite a shopping list, until you think
that any old piece of crap 10 year old x64 motherboard + CPU found in
the back of your cupboard can do all of that without breaking a sweat,
and then some. But it will also be massive, ugly, noisy and will suck
power from the wall 24/7. A cheap Ebay QNAP or Synology can do most of
it but they're awful proprietary crap and are automatically out. A HP
Microserver isn't that bad a fit, and I've even made several
multi-purpose boxes on that platform but again: size, power
requirements, price... and I hate HP Microservers. There are many
specific low power SoC SKUs from Intel and AMD that target this exact
market (e.g., Atom C3000) but the prices are crazy and availability
poor. I can actually do almost everything with a trusty RPi, even an
older model - base Arch install with docker containers for OpenVPN,
DNS+DHCP+firewall, Kodi HTPC, home automation, backup server, NAS,
TimeCapsule, etc, etc. It only falls apart when you want more disk +
network.

From extensive research online I know I am far from the only person
desperate for a multi-talented ARM SoC to step in to pick up the slack.
So, apologies for the lengthy post - anyone got any ideas?

Cheers