Re: [LUG] External speakers no sound

On 14/04/18 22:25, Eion MacDonald via list wrote:

Common problem. Audio control has a number of ways to switch off or on
the same device. You need to start by re-booting without your ear plugs
in machine. Then check all audio settings and ensure they are switched
to on and also check your browser that you did not 'switch off' a video
or YouTube in its tab sound icon (not in audio settings!) before closing
down previous time. (This can be  a%%%$%! to find)

Yes, I do know what a pain this can be. I have looked around a bit, and can't see any problems. Looking at Volume Control under the Multimedia choice in the menu, it does show "Headphones (plugged in)" under Output Devices. When I unplug the phones, the message changes to "HDMI/Display Port (plugged in)".

Under Configuration there is a long list of "Profiles". Most of them are marked as Unplugged. Of the others, only two give any sound, via the headphones. These are Analogue Stereo Duplex and Analogue Stereo Output. The others, even if not marked as unplugged, don't work.

What puzzles me most is that it all worked on Friday. I did absolutely nothing with the sound system at all (well yes, as normal, I did run one or two Youtube videos) and it was all working just fine. Yet on Saturday when I logged in there was no sound from my external speakers. (My screen does not have any inbuilt speakers.) So I tried my phones and they worked straight away.

What a pain,

Neil