Re: [LUG] External speakers no sound

> On 14 Apr 2018, at 17:54, Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Always start with the cables... re-plug everything.

My experience says always start with the volume control, especially but not just,
when it is implemented in software. But maybe Daniel thought that too obvious to
mention.

Debian, OS X, Windows & iOS all seem to share the ability to mute their volume
controls at different times, or change the default. Usually upgrades, or when
switching between sound devices. Wondering if a muted sound source which has signal
should get some sort of visual indicator bit like caps lock on case sensitive
password fields.

Some of my conferencing apps now alert on no microphone signal, which turns out is
really annoying as the microphone is auto-switched to device but the switching takes
about half a second longer than it takes the app to detect no signal and alert on
it.