Re: [LUG] Spectre was Re: Email service

On 09/03/18 09:08, Simon Waters wrote:

>> On 9 Mar 2018, at 08:47, psutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So are intel going to be able to  fix this at the CPU level and bring out a new
>> series of cpus at some point,  or perhaps when iirc we have i3,i5 and i7.  so if
>> say i9 comes out at some point would they be looking at fixing the issue?
> Yes. AMD already avoided the main issue. Intel can do the same, but itâll take
> time, and itâll result in comparatively slower CPUs if there are more security
> checks.
>
> Many of the issues already mitigated by microcode updates.
>
> But theyâll be more of same. The researchers are only getting better at finding
> and exploiting these issues. I still doubt this is the way youâll get kit owned.
>
> If there is any under-utilised vulnerability for attackers to use it is Cross Site
> scripting.

If I understand what that is correctly,ÂÂ a website can run code within
the web page that affects the computer running a browser viewing that site.

on a related note.

I know sql injection is about being able to type sql commands in to a
form that is not genarlly meant to support that but by doing so users
can gain access to data or the computer running the server

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Tech Jam - 2nd Saturday of the Month at Paignton Library