Re: [LUG] Persistent USB (sorry, no sublect in last message)

On 26/02/18 10:00, Roland Tarver via list wrote:

> On 26/02/18 09:06, aaron moore wrote:
>> Hi Lug
>> Well, I am now the proud owner of 5 reconditioned Dell lap tops and
>> intend to dual boot them with Ubuntu. Am I right in thinking that if I
>> work up a persistent usb start up thumb drive and load it with all my
>> favourite softwares i will then be able to install Ubuntu plus
>> favourites in one go? Any advice on this gratefully received.
>> Kind rgards
>> Aaron
>
> ÂÂÂ I guess you have to ask yourself "Is it worth the effort?". If it's
> just a few packages I would just install them on each machine. Only if
> you have a lot of packages and config files that you need to setup would
> it be worth automating the process?
>
> As to how best to automate it - other here will be able to answer that
> far better. I have heard, but never used, a tool called CloneZilla.
> Perhaps it would prove useful?
>
> http://clonezilla.org/
>
> Best wishes
> Good luck
> Roly :-)

As I experiment on a few reconditioned laptops and install OSs (Linux)
on  seven old machines for U3A;  I have found that an install from a DVD
is the simplest, as each machine differs in hard drive  size. Thus exact
clone is not possible.
Clonezilla is useful for clone to a larger hard drive or equal size.
Gives problems if install disc is smaller than the  one to be cloned.
(I usually use Ubuntu 16.04 or any LTS version, for the learners and
update the LTS version every two years)
--
regards
Eion MacDonald