Re: [LUG] Email service

On 19/02/18 18:10, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 19/02/18 17:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, Nick wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone got any warnings or recommendations? Does anyone here run their
>>> own mail server and find it works well?
>>
>> I run my own. Have been doing so since about 1995. It works well.
>>
>> Gordon
>>

> Just to Second that Gordon's e-mail system works well.
>
> If you want alternatives to the usual providers, and don't want to DIY,
> then there are services such as
>
> protonmail (https://protonmail.com/)
> and Dis'root which is more of an all in one service that also provides,
> mail,  cloudstore (nextcloud) and other services.  (https://disroot.org/en)
>
> On a similar line to dis'root there is nethserver (
> https://www.nethserver.org/  )  which a Linux OS install that includes
> other services such as cloud, mail, groupware , cloud , filtering and more.
>
> Paul

I run my own domain email on my domain (hosted with UKHost4u.com - which
was a 3 man Kirkaldy firm 11 years ago, now bigger) and have  not had
any spam email problems.

I also use ProtonMail.ch extensively under two email addresses to deal
with PR China but sometimes the Great Firewall stops this email, usually
only for a few hours during sensitive events in PRC.
Ingoing to PRC always works, out-coming mail sometimes has problems.
A email address in my own domain "blogs at lochgorm .co.uk" is usually
more successful in getting to inside Iran / Iraq / than a Gmail one at
times. Again these areas and Saudi sometimes 'block' some email addresses.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald