Re: [LUG] Small desktop computers

On 05/02/18 20:51, George Parker wrote:
I'm a bit bemused about this thread. Especially about Neil thinking that a small box would look odd. There have been plenty of computers with plenty of oomph that don't have a box at all, the computing being in the monitor casing. And the only reason we have these whacking great boxes is so that we can play with their configuration, pick and mix and it will all go in. Lots of nice big mother boards with memory modules, Video cards with heat sinks, extra sockets, a whacking great PSU, a few 5 1/4" drives and DVD R/W's and off course, lots of lovely cables. But if you know what you want and it isn't state of the art, and you are using modern components you don't need all that. And it all slots together and takes apart, if needed, reasonably easily, much easier that a lot of lap tops. A 6"x6"x2" computer is a lot easier to work on than a mobile phone where you really do need Mr Meowski's teeny, teeny fingers. I started in electronics before transistors when valves were king, things came in cabinets and if you poked around with your fingers you ended up flat on your back. I know which I prefer.

George

Thanks, that is interesting. I suppose that I think it would look weird because I am so used to the big towers used with desktop computers. I will look at them, small desktops, more carefully and without judging. And I too can remember the days of the big cabinets, punch cards and paper tape.

I expect that, like towers, these small boxes vary in size. More research necessary, obviously.

Neil