Re: [LUG] Cheap laptops

This whole project has progressed on a wing and a prayer and part of the idea is to make this technology accessible with most of the cnc machines being home built. I myself have never owned a new computer worth more than £250 quid, and have just about managed, so £500 quid laptops seem a little over the top. Anyway, It sounds interesting, but I would have to square it with the funders. Do these refurbished machines have any kind of warranty and would somebody be willing advise on particular models?
Thanks for all replies
Aaron
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 27/01/2018, 22:51 mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/01/18 20:00, Simon Avery wrote:
> Worth taking a look at refurbished machines.

This ALL DAY LONG.

Not just refurbed, but refurbed business laptops at that. Think ex-lease
Lenovos or Dells. Buy wisely and you can pick up i5 or i7 systems with
8Gb RAM and SSDs that still have a few months of factory return to base
or even next day warranty on them.

I spec and buy a LOT of these systems. And I really mean a LOT, like
I've bought more than twenty for clients already this year. Ask away if
you have questions.

Lenovo x240s/x250s are my current sweet spot but they're ultra portables
with tiny screens so probably not what you're looking for. Dell 7440s
are nice too and can be snapped up for under £300 but still only have
14" screens - i5/i7 though with 8Gb RAM, SSDs and native 1080. You can
always add big cheap screens - they support 3 external monitors through
docks (and you can lock away the laptops safely at night).

DO NOT BUY NON-ELITE HPs FOR ANY REASON.

DO NOT BUY NON-BUSINESS CLASS DELLS.

DO NOT BUY NON-BUSINESS SPEC SECOND HAND LAPTOPS AT ALL!*

DO NOT BUY CHROMEBOOKS** OR NEW SUB £300 LAPTOPS EVER FOR ANY REASON

This goes double for anything you want to run Linux on. Triple for
anything you want to run Linux *and* Windows on.

Cheers

*except Apples, but you're probably not buying them at all
**chromebooks are fine, but only for £20 off a mate