Re: [LUG] Cheap laptops

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:51:07PM +0000, mr meowski wrote:
> On 27/01/18 20:00, Simon Avery wrote:
> > Worth taking a look at refurbished machines.
>
> Lenovo x240s/x250s are my current sweet spot but they're ultra portables
> with tiny screens so probably not what you're looking for.

Yep, refurbished Thinkpads are all I'll buy anymore. I'm way behind your current
sweet spot and running a t400 and an x220, both very old laptops but they run
better than any one I've bought new.

Both of mine cost me under £100, run Debian perfectly, are upgradable, and are
so designed with servicing in mind the screw holes have little pictures of a
keyboard/screen/memory etc to tell you which you need to remove to replace
parts.

They both run Core2Duo cpus, but once I upgraded to 8/16Gb of RAM they feel
perfectly speedy.

--
Daniel Keast,
Hatherleigh, UK