[LUG] Repurposing an old iMac into a Linux m/c

Hi

I have never written to a User Group for help before, so please excuse any bad
manners or breaches of protocol on my part - any advice on how to do things properly
will be gratefully received.
In summary, I have a 2007 24â iMac (2.16GHz IntelCore 2 Duo, 2GB SDRAM, 250GB Serial
ATA Drive, NVIDIA GEFORCE) in good working condition that my grandchildren do no
want because it is old and so I would like if possible to repurpose it into a Linux
m/c.
Iâve read articles on the web that claim it is possible, but the articles all seem
to be followed by succession of comments/reviews from people who have failed.
Can anyone please advise me on the feasibility/practicality of doing this and point
me in the direction of a suitably authoritative article/tutorial etc on the way
forward?
From my previous attempts to run Windows on this computer, I don't think Bootcamp or
VM s/w is going to be an effective way forward.

Regards, Mike