Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

On 08/01/18 14:08, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for throwing the ball back.
>
> I'm going to make life easier for myself. Essentially the laptop is
> working fine. I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I haven't looked into
> any of the questions. I need something working! Your email was as
> usual very comprehensive and I will be taking action on the advice.
> However, I want to separate data from the os so I'm going to invest in
> an ssd for the desktop. At which point I will be working on getting
> the desktop up and running.
>
> As you say it will be an adventure and learning experience and I'm
> looking forward to it. I'll get the ssd and then get the ball rolling.
>
> I know you suggested working on the laptop but I really do need to
> keep something running at the moment. So here is my desktop
> motherboard specs:
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/MB/Intel/B250M-HDV/index.asp
>
> The beauty of using this board is that is up to date. I will be
> learning how to configure uefi etc.Anyway, when I have the drive I'll
> start the journey!

Sounds like a plan - now you're in the market for a SSD, note that your
motherboard is modern enough to support the new generation of NVME SSDs.
If you can stretch your budget to it, this is a no-brainer compared to
regular SATA attached units.

The relevant bit from Asrock's support page:

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2
SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_5 will be disabled.

**Supports ASRock U.2 Kit
Supports Intel Optaneâ Technology
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

Might seem a bit like overkill but then the massive IO boost will help
partially offset the performance hit we're all about to get on our Intel
systems thanks to Spectre/Meltdown :|

Cheers