Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

Thanks for all the replies. Mr Meowski's reply summed up where I am
exactly. He couldn't have made it clearer and it really helped. So
this morning I tested the idea out on my laptop (it has no data on it)
and totally messed up the install. I was using Fedora 27 and had the
same crashing issues. So I thought I would install kde on Fedora. I
don't know how I managed to get it so wrong but on the boot menu I
ended up with an install of Ubuntu and install of Fedora.

So I'm installing a fresh version of Ubuntu on my laptop. I have since
been reading around the possible problems. I have been using Dropbox
and the demon running that has caused Gnome 3 users problems. Some
extensions have been causing some issues. I am going to persevere with
Fedora on the main desktop and see if I stop using the Dropbox demon
and cease using Gnome extensions whether that improves things.

I do have data backed up thankfully but I am persevering. If it still
causes issues I will be getting hold of a ssd and using that to run as
my primary drive and have the 2 sata disks as seperate from the system
disk. I think I taught myself a lesson here!

Thanks for the continued help.

On 6 January 2018 at 11:56, Peter Walker <peter.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/01/18 10:56, leloft wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:51:10 +0000
>> Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The other task I want to do is to keep my home directory and share
>>> between the 2 installs. How easy is it to do that please?
>>
>> It's easy if you have installed /home on its own partition...
>>
>> But I would not do that until I was confident that the problems would
>> not also be thus shared.
>
> One other thing to note about sharing your home directory. Most of the config for
> your desktop and applications is stored there so could get a bit messy if you have
> different setups for each install.
> As Fraser said, problems with plugins etc. would be carried between installs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> --

Kind Regards