Re: [LUG] Filezilla

On 17 November 2017 at 11:35, Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The new firefox 57 has arrived. The one reason I used it was for the fireftp addon. Now this is no longer available I will not be using FF for anything at all.

I have my own website which I use mainly for emails. Also, as an extra precaution, I transfer some of my important files to the web site on a regular basis. (Yes, I also have backups.) Up to now I have used the fireftp addon for this.

However, I now have find something to replace fireftp. The obvious one is filezilla. I have used it in the past, but I do find it to be very complicated, and trying to do too many things. If necessary I will struggle with it again, but can anyone suggest another simpler      program to do the same thing?

Many thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

There are many ways to address this. One, as you have identified, is to use Filezilla. As others have mentioned, you can likely use your existing file manager to connect to your remote server. There are, however, many other options, and each will require some level of re-learning, but isn't that what makes life interesting? You could familiarise yourself with command-line s/FTP access, you could SSHFS to mount it somewhere "physical" (ie /mnt/sshfs/website), and there are a plethora of other GUI tools if you'd prefer.

Grant. :)