Re: [LUG] Filezilla

On 17/11/2017 12:55, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 17/11/17 11:59, Martin Gautier wrote:
>>

>> On 17/11/17 11:35, Neil wrote:
>>> The new firefox 57 has arrived. The one reason I used it was for the
>>> fireftp addon. Now this is no longer available I will not be using FF
>>> for anything at all.
>>>
>>> I have my own website which I use mainly for emails. Also, as an
>>> extra precaution, I transfer some of my important files to the web
>>> site on a regular basis. (Yes, I also have backups.) Up to now I have
>>> used the fireftp addon for this.
>>>
>>> However, I now have find something to replace fireftp. The obvious
>>> one is filezilla. I have used it in the past, but I do find it to be
>>> very complicated, and trying to do too many things. If necessary I
>>> will struggle with it again, but can anyone suggest another simpler
>>> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ program to do the same thing?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> Filezilla is pretty much standard and the one I'd recommend. If it's
>> too tricky for you to use, perhaps your file manager can do it?
>> Gnome/Ubuntu based distros have a "Connect to Server" option where you
>> can use a "ftp://user:password@xxxxxxxxxxx"; URI to connect
>>
> I'm in the same position as of last night (thanks for nothing Mozilla!).
> I've installed Filezilla, and to be honest I don't see a lot of
> functional difference;
>
> Header for login details
> Two columns for local and remote server
>
> A few bells and whistles like bookmarks, but that's pretty much it..
> standard fare for a GUI FTP client.
>
> Julian

Filezilla now has encrypted sending of log on password.  I had moved to
Securezilla (a derivative by others) to obtain this but have now moved
back to Filezilla. (Power of free software, the existence of Filezilla
'forced' Filezilla maintainer to adjust to encrypted password  sending,
as he lost a lot of supporters by refusing this for a long time.
If you set file manager to the routine connect you make, it is a one
click operation to log on to the server you require.
Like Julian I keep back ups and send one copy to my domain server.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald