[LUG] Netgear Router

I have a Netgear router, N300 WNR2200. I have had it for nearly four years. When I first had it I changed the log in name and the password, as recommended. I have a note of the new name. I can also remember the password for the WPA2 security on the wifi. But, I just cannot remember the new password. I have searched through all the documents that I can think of, to no avail.

The result is that no updates have been run for a long time. Am I right in thinking that there is no way to recover the new password, and that I must reset the router and start again? If so, does this normally cause any trouble?

What can anyone recommend in this situation please?

Thanks,

Neil