[LUG] OT: Diagnosing - Probable - Dead RAID 1 HDD

Hi All,

You may remember the grief I had a couple of months ago with failing HDDs in my Synology DS212j NAS. It's happening /again/ with the one HDD from an Amazon supplier that did originally work.* LVM2 and MDADM are installed. I have tried the following commands with the suspect drive in a caddy:

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
sudo vgscan --mknodes

I had retained the one surviving drive from my old array as a data backup and that detects correctly in the caddy and reads properly, so the caddy is not a problem. As that one is also a RAID 1 volume there is also no problem in reading single HDDs from RAID arrays.

However, the suspect drive is detected and appears in Computer, but does not appear in Disks [I'm running Mint 18.3]. It refuses to mount with the error 'unable to read superblock'. dmseg | tail says '[13060.101764] EXT4-fs (dm-0): unable to read superblock'.

Could / should I try to reformat the disk and put it back in the NAS or is it dead? If I should try to reformat it, how would I do that with a RAID 1 disk please?

Kind regards,

Julian

* I bought two from a supplier on Amazon.. one was DOA and returned, the replacement was DOA and also returned, and I had a refund. Obviously I was then a drive short; the drive then bought from Ebuyer still works.