Re: [LUG] Graphics Cards that work with Linux

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I had given up. The problem is confusing with dual monitors showing up when I only had 1 etc. It was further confused by sound not working as well. Sound was defaulting to HDMI despite VGA being connectedÂ+ lead!

Happy not to buy a graphics card but equally if it is going to solve a problem then happy to purchase. I was going to pay the Â150 for the graphics card Daniel suggested. However, if you have a second hand idea of risky and fun - I'm totally up for it!

Thanks

Rich

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 at 15:13 mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/09/17 07:29, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Thanks for all the help with the previous queries especially Mr Meowski.
> It was an abortive attempt because of the difficulties with Kobylake and
> drivers. This exists for Windows as well as Linux.

Surely you haven't given up already?! Kabylake or not, those chipsets
MUST work with at least one Operating System - admittedly, probably
Windows 10 - out of the box or Intel would be in a lot of trouble...
There was a whole bunch of other things you could have tried first -
updating to a proper 4.12 or 4.13 kernel alone would have made a huge
difference to the hardware support.

Still, not my call - and maybe you just want a shiny new graphics card
anyway to be fair. The 1050Ti Dan mentioned is a pretty solid Nvidia
contender but the biggest consideration* is budget... how much do you
want to spend on your new graphics card? Also new, guaranteed and boring
or second hand, risky and fun? I'm quite a fan of Ebaying comically
cheap workstation class graphics card of yesteryear.

Cheers

Richard Brown
07747 343637
https://gucu.org.uk/