Re: [LUG] Modem/Router

On 04/08/17 08:17, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> Having some issues with my modem and I think it needs replacing. Any
> recommendations please?

Any old piece of crap you can pick up second hand/free if possible -
just keep it in dumb "modem" mode, turn off all routing and wifi
functions and regard it as the enemy. Put your own proper
gateway/router/firewall (something like a pfsense, mini linux box or any
other free/open source solution you like the look of) firmly in between
it and the rest of your network.

You can't trust your ISP! Between crappy insecure firmware, TR-069
remote access to your equipment, traffic snooping, data logging and the
litany of other crap we've come to expect from them as standard ISPs
deserve to be treated with intense suspicion if not outright hostility.

Cheers